Lumbago, or so called “lower back pain” is a common disease we often seen in the clinic even with cases having secondary pain and numbness manifested in the lower extremities. There are many reasons that cause to it. Pathological injury to the soft tissue and joints around the lumbosacral area will lead to lumbar disc protrusion, hyperosteogeny (excessive bone changes), either congenital or postnatal structural abnormalities which are all its etiological factors.
A 90 years old female patient who has lumbar disks protrusion with lower leg muscle atrophy
Comprehensive treatment procedures for lumbago:
1. Tuina often assisted with guasha (skin scrapping) and/or cupping. Objective is to clear away obstruction along the affected meridians until tighten tendons and muscles get released and relaxed to promote normal flow of qi and blood. Patient may experience relief immediately right after.
2. Acupuncture Involved several techniques using disposable sterilized stainless fine needles, which are inserted on specific points of the body. Our main purpose or objective of performing acupuncture is not to produce analgesic effect through the release of endorphins and enkephalins nor just temporary relief, but to further stimulate the affected areas more deeply in order to dispel stagnation and hasten blood circulation. In some cases and if there is the need, we will apply bloodletting.
3. Application of Pain of Muscles or Joints Moxibustion of Chinese Moxibustion. Not only waist sprain and lumbar muscle strain, but also lumbar intervertebral disc herniation, are suitable for Pain of Muscles or Joints Moxibustion of Chinese Moxibustion. Pain of Muscles or Joints Moxibustion may directly resolve the inflammatory edema of salient in intervertebral disc and stimulate nerve root to relieve or remove the oppression. The heat effect of moxibustion may accelerate the penetration of drugs into the local focus to alleviate the pain quickly. On the other hand, it may increase the local blood circulation and improve the nourishment for annular fibrosus to prevent repeated prolapsed of nucleus gelatinosus. So it has resolved the basic etiological factors and controlled the reoccurrence of lumbar disc protrusion.
4. Tailored herbal decoction formula for those patients if needed to improve their liver and kidney function which is formulated base on the TCM principle of syndrome differentiation and treatment of wholeness, or may use the Strong Kidney Moxibustion of Chinese Moxibustion.
Treatment on a female patient who has lumbar compression fractures
1. Pain of Muscles or Joints Moxibustion: Folum Artemisia Angyi (Qichun Chen Ai), Radix Aconiti Preparata(Chuan Wu), Radix Angelicae Pubescentis (Du Huo), Boswellic Preparata (Ru Xiang), Oleum Menthae Dementholatum(Bo He)
2. Strong Kidney Moxibustion: Pared Aconite Root (Zhi Fu Zi), Cinnamon (Rou Gui), Fruit of Chinese Wolfberry (Gou Qi Zi), Rhizoma Curculiginis (Xian Mao) Herba Epimedii (Yin Yang Huo) and others.
Introducing Chinese Moxibustion:
China (Chinese) Moxibustion is a set of world leading herbal medicine that bears the name of the state as its identification. The government has involved and invested heavily in the research and development of this product. It is an innovated Chinese herbal medicine with applied latest advanced technology that upholds the truth of ancient Chinese moxibustion therapeutic principles of more than 5,000 years combined with modern medical theory in treating diseases, a three-dimensional treatment modality that complements each other which consists of thermal therapy, moxibustion therapy and herbal therapy. A green medication without toxic side effect and efficacy is 20-30 times faster than the traditional moxibustion. When applied onto acupuncture point, the automatic heat produced with concentrated herbal medicine will enter rapidly in molecular form into the focal area to achieve significant therapeutic effect.
Introducing China Moxibustion Institute:
China Moxibustion Institute is also known as Institute of Acupuncture and Moxibustion of China Academy of Chinese Medical Sciences. It is currently the most authoritative, prestigious and biggest national comprehensive institution for scientific research, clinical medicine and medical education in China, and one of the World Health Organization collaborating centers for traditional medicine. Its main task is to carry out scientific clinical research by utilizing modern scientific methods and traditional Chinese medicine methods with acupuncture and moxibustion principles and theories; acupuncture and moxibustion literature, also to explore the essence of meridians, training local senior acupuncture and moxibustion professionals, bearing the responsibility on behalf of the state for international medical tasks, to accomplish specific scientific research work of World Health Organization, and to train foreign acupuncture and moxibustion professionals internationally.